August 11, 2021 Update
Status Update sent to MYC members on 8/11/21
Monomoy Yacht Club Members,
After consultation with our Reopening Committee, the Board of Governors met yesterday morning and initiated some policy and schedule changes after considering the recent upsurge in Covid 19 cases both statewide and locally. This surge will probably not reach its peak until September or a little later. The data show vaccinated people are not totally immune to coming down with the disease. We realize that most members of the club are vaccinated and probably fairly safe from developing severe disease or possibly dying from the infection. Out of an abundance of caution, the following changes are being made:
· BYOB parties in the clubhouse are cancelled for the time being but we will revisit this decision later in September.
· Outdoor events, i.e., kayaking, sailboat races, rendezvous, etc., will proceed as scheduled.
· The Sunday August 22 Moonrise event will proceed as planned.
· The Monomoy Yacht Club annual meeting on Saturday September 4 will be conducted via Zoom with only the Board of Governors who are presenting in the clubhouse.
· The Beach Party renamed the Commodore’s Beach Party, at Hardings Beach on Wednesday September 8 will take place as scheduled but the food (lobster rolls and other treats) will be purchased and provided to attendees. We will be expanding the scope of the beach party to include much of the program from the Commodore’s Luncheon, plus live music, raffles, and some surprises.
· Regrettably, the Commodore’s Luncheon scheduled for Wednesday September 22 has been cancelled with much of the program shifted to the Beach Party. From a health and safety standpoint, as well as financial, we could not commit to 140 of our members attending a largely indoor event with the virus surging and potentially peaking around the time of our scheduled event.
We sincerely appreciate the understanding of our members regarding our decision to alter or cancel some of our activities. We will be actively looking to add into our calendar other appropriate and safe outdoor events as we go forward. Please stay well!
Board of Governors
Monomoy Yacht Club